Babies are designed to survive new parents. Thank goodness for this. We’re learning every day and so is Owen. It’s really going quite well.
I’d like to blog more often but right now, my life is 100% Owen and I don’t want this blog to become a mommy/baby blog. We’ve also had family in town (thank God for parents to help us learn how to be parents!!) so I haven’t really had time to sit down to write. Honestly, I don’t remember what life was like before Owen, but this isn’t a bad thing. We can’t imagine our lives any other way.
Since I missed December 10th for my 10 things post (it didn’t even cross my mind until today), I figured I’d do a belated December 10 Things while it is still December. Plus, I already have something in mind for January. In the past 26 days, we’ve learned a lot about Owen. Here are 10 of them (and um, yes, I’m going to brag like hail about my baby in this post…deal with it):
1. We initially thought he looked like his daddy.
(Did you notice that they’re wearing the same sleeper? Owen has a bunch of his daddy’s clothes.)
But now that he’s fattening up, we’re noticing a bit more resemblance to me. Which is okay with me because I did quite a bit of the work in this whole shin-dig and I wouldn’t mind a little credit.
I’d say he’s a pretty good blend of the both of us, which is good because that’s exactly what he is.
2. He LOVES his swing. He’s definitely a baby who loves to be on the go. We attribute this to the fact that I was very active while I was pregnant.
3. He isn’t quite a month old yet and is already starting to smile (at things other than gas). As much as I want him to stay little forever, I love seeing him develop and discover new things every day and my heart melts with every smile and coo. He’s even cute when he cries.
4. Our German neighbor knitted him the most adorable socks. She doesn’t speak English, but brought a friend over with her to translate. She said he knew he was born when she saw that I was pregnant and then one day I wasn’t.
5. Owen is so blessed. We know that he has miraculously blessed our lives, but I wonder if he has a clue how loved he is. He has quite the fan club already.
|My sister took this picture when we introduced Owen to everyone via Skype at Christmas.|
6. He has the world’s greatest dad. Alex became a dad the minute Owen was born and it was incredible to watch. I was pretty laid up recovering from the delivery and Alex took charge. He had never changed a diaper in his life but you wouldn’t have known it. When friends came over to visit with their 5 month old, Alex held their baby awkwardly while they cuddled Owen. He doesn’t know what to do with a baby unless it is his own. I am still amazed at how good Alex is with Owen. I know I’ve said it before but he is a natural dad and I fall apart every time I see them together.
7. Alex’s nickname for him is “Lil Bruiser” or “Bruiser” or “Bruiserson.”
8. There are 1047 pictures in my December 2013 folder. 99.3% of them are of Owen. The other 0.7% I took at Christmas markets. I just can’t believe how something so small can be so perfect and I want to capture every moment. If only I could bottle it up.
9. We celebrated his baptism while both sets of parents were here. He handled it really well. He loved the water!
10. Owen is Elle approved. And was from the minute we brought him home.
Becoming a parent is so cool. I can’t describe it. I’m still in awe at the joy Owen has brought to our lives. I can’t stop staring at him. He is my perfect boy. I grew that. I’m so thankful that we have the privilege to be his parents and that I was able to assist God in creating such a miracle.