Actually, 10 things: Owen must-have. Well, we don’t have to have them but they do make life easier – his and mine! Every baby is one-of-a-kind and likes different things. For example, some babies are soothed by pacifiers. Owen thinks they are a joke.
Here are ten items that are Owen approved. Many of these were given to me as gifts and would make great gifts for any mama-to-be! Putting together your baby registry? I hope this will help!
This kid is a baby on the go, so the swing is perfect to keep him happy when mom needs to eat or fold laundry. It swings three different ways, plays (not obnoxious) music, lullabies, chirping birds, and a babbling brook. It has sweet little birds that fly in a circle and he recently discovered that there is a mirror above him. He loves his swing. On a rare instance, it will even rock him to sleep, but he usually prefers his mama’s arms for that.
Taking a shower every morning (regardless of whether I do anything with my hair or put on make up) is what makes me feel human. And with the hours that the Viper Pilot sometimes works, I might go all day without an adult conversation so it is crucial that I at least feel human and am clean for the baby’s sake. Owen sits happily in his bouncy seat in the bathroom while I sing to him from the shower (I’m no Carrie Underwood, but Amazing Grace sounds incredible when I sing it in the shower, as does the national anthem). The seat is cozy soft, vibrates and plays music or bird sounds (both of which he loves). It has also proven useful for dirtying diapers — nearly every time. 😉
He has never really loved being swaddled, but sometimes he will let me and I love when he does because he is the cutest little Owen burrito. These blankets are perfect for swaddling – they hug and cling in just the right places to make him feel cozy. They are also great for covering up the carseat. They are thick enough to block the wind or sun but still breathable.
4. Moby wrap
|Pardon my appearance. I have a cold and even though Owen sleeps through the night, this mama did not.|
The Moby is AWESOME. I received it as a gift and was a bit skeptical and overwhelmed by the giant wad of fabric at first but once I learned how to use it, I have used it almost every day. It allows Owen to get in a good nap – he sleeps so well with his little ear pressed to mama’s heart – and it allows me to get stuff done around the house, or just kick my feet up and take a snooze in the recliner. He sleeps like a champ in his crib at night but prefers to cuddle with mom during the day. It is a great way to bond with baby and keep baby feeling safe and happy in their surrounding. Today, despite my cold, he aided me with a stellar leg workout: pliés, wall squats, and lunges <– burns so good!
It’s also great for travelling!
Mr. & Mrs. M, if you are reading this, THANK YOU!! for the Moby wrap I didn’t know I needed! It’s a life-saver!
They may not be very discrete about it, but on occasion, babies need help getting rid of that gas. These drops are all natural (no artificial anything) and help break up the big bubbles without medication. We like to give them before bedtime. They were a life saver during week 6 and 7. He loves the way they taste, too!
Owen has told these owls and squirrels many a story. Also works well for that dreaded tummy time. The big thing for me about this playmat (along with the swing and the bouncy seat previously mentioned) is that they are nice neutral, calm colors. A lot of baby toys and gear are loud, bold, and brightly colored. There is nothing wrong with a little color contrast to catch their attention for a while but to me, it can be overdone in a hurry. It is really easy to overstimulate a little one with such a fragile nervous system. He has enough to take in in a day as it is. Easy does it.
7. Sleep Sheep
This cuddly little sheep plays four different sounds: a heartbeat, waves, a whale tale, and a babbling brook. It has a volume control and a timer, too. It is the perfect natural white noise to help baby sleep. I’ve caught the Viper Pilot turning it on long after Owen has gone to bed. I’m pretty sure he likes it to fall asleep to, too.
Not only is it great for a baby’s bum, but it works great when that perfectly smooth new skin gets a little dry. He’s never even had a hint of diaper rash on those sweet cheeks thanks to this good stuff!
He doesn’t know it yet, but when he starts popping teeth, he’s going to love this necklace I just ordered. I just can’t bring myself to give up jewelry now that I have a baby. Apparently, I’m not alone!
10. the Boppy
So, I don’t actually have a great picture of the boppy.
This u-shaped squishy pillow is dual purpose, which is why I own two. One for feeding and one for playing. This pillow is a great breastfeeding tool and now that he’s a bit bigger and stronger, it works great for propping him up during playtime. He will lay in the pillow for hours talking to me. When he is propped up he can see more which is a big bonus for him since he’s so alert and wants to take everything in. We have just started using it for tummy time.
– Cloth diapers make the best burp cloths. We also lay one under his bum when changing him. It has saved us many times!
– Pampers Swaddlers. We’ve only had a few blow outs but these diapers are amazing. They hold a lot, but manage to keep the wet away from the skin, which make them great for babies that sleep through the night. I must give major props to those who cloth diaper. Owen gets changed at least once an hour (he is a well hydrated babe) and I can’t imagine the laundry we’d have in cloth diapers in addition to everything else.
– Circo footed sleepers from Target are awesome because they zip bottom to top. Hello, easy diaper changes.
– Anything from Baby Gap (the fabrics are so soft, plus it is all adorable), but specifically these sleepers. He’s still in the 0-3 size and will before a while yet, but I just bought them in the 3-6 month size too. I love them.
– Amazon Mom!!! Moms get 20% off subscribe and save diapers and wipes. Yes, please. Especially wonderful for military families living overseas when the commissary only has size 4s in stock and you’ve run out of diapers for your infant on a Sunday (German stores are closed on Sundays).
– Pandora soundscapes and lullabies station. Great background noise and beats the heck out of the TV. Owen listens to it at bedtime every night. Warning: if you only have the free Pandora app, the advertisements are ridiculously loud and obnoxious. Nothing like a blaring Taco Bell commercial after a sweet lullaby to startle the babe.
What am I forgetting? Anything you’d like to add?