On March 3, 1969 the United States Navy established an elite school for the top one percent of its pilots. Its purpose was to teach the lost art of aerial combat and to insure that the handful of men who graduated were the best fighter pilots in the world. They succeeded. Today, the Navy calls it Fighter Weapons School. The flyers call it: TOP GUN.
Happy Top Gun Day, everyone!
It is my all-time fave movie. Here’s how I’m celebrating:
- Listen to the TG soundtrack on the way to work
- Blog about it
- Purchase a TG t-shirt (not sure why it took me so long to finally get one)
- Quote the movie, all day long. Need ideas? Here are my favorites. Yes, I have these memorized.
- “Tower, this is Ghost Rider requesting a flyby.” “That’s a negative, Ghost Rider, the pattern is full.”
- “No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.” “Sorry, Goose, but it’s time to buzz a tower.”
- “If I hit the brakes, he’ll fly right by.”
- “Too close for missiles, I’m switching to guns.”
- “I feel the need…the need for speed.”
- “That’s right! Ice…man. I am dangerous.”
- “Hey, Goose, you big stud!” “That’s me, honey!”
- my favorite!! –>
- Maverick: “She’s lost that loving feeling.”
- Goose: “She’s lo…no she hasn’t.”
- Maverick: “Yes, she has.”
- Goose: “She’s not lost that lo…”
- Maverick: “Goose, she’s lost it, man.”
- Goose: “Come on! Awww, I hate it when she does that.”
- and the list goes on and on and on…
and of course,
- Watch the movie tonight with my own version of Maverick and Goose (see below)
Okay, soooo…umm…*insert clever subject transition here*
It’s also Thai Food Friday! So, we must celebrate this, as well. We’re going to Bann Thai, our favorite Thai place in the dirty C. I’ll most likely order Drunken Noodles with beef, thai hot and Mav-er, Alex will probably order Pad See Ew with beef, thai hot.
Since we’ve been going out for Thai food lately, I don’t have any new recipes that I’ve tried personally to share with you. But, I follow a blog all about Thai food and she posted what looks like an ahh-mazing recipe for Pad See-Ew. Check it out here and let me know if you try it!
For dessert, go bananas over this:
I occasionally will buy more bananas than I can eat, or I’ll go to the grocery store and swear that I’m out of naners and buy more. Then I end up with, as you can imagine, lots of naners. When they start to get a little ripe, I make greenies or freeze them for later use. I opened the freezer the other day and three naners fell out. That was the last
straw naner. I needed to use them up. I remembered my mom telling me a while back about banana ice cream that she made and loved so I tossed two frozen naners in Oscar (my food processor) and man, was I pleased with the results. So was Maverick. I topped mine with a little pure maple syrup and cocoa powder. Delishish and guiltless <– best part.
What new adventures of Alex and Emily do we have planned? Well, we’re packing up our chainsaw, muscles and strength, and probably a few hugs to share and heading up to Smithville, MS to volunteer and help with the clean up. It’s still quite a mess down there and these people are desperate to get an ounce of their normal lives back. The tornado hit almost two weeks ago, and a lot of the eager volunteers that showed up right away to help out have started to trickle out. But, they still need all the help they can get.
Have a great evening and don’t forget to celebrate!!